Creating this post for future reference because I can never really remember how to firmware upgrade my raid card LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i, which is now a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9211-8i.
Basically this guide is a rewrite of this forum post.
- Created a standard bootable DOS USB Flash Drive.
- Download the firmware tools (local mirror) and extract MegaRec.exe and empty.bin to the USB drive.
- Download the latest 9211-8i firmware.
- Copy the following files to the USB drive:
– sas2flsh.exe (DOS-version)
- Boot from USB.
- Backup current sbr with megarec -readsbr 0 backup.sbr
- Write an empty sbr with megarec -writesbr 0 empty.bin
- Erase controller flash with megarec -cleanflash 0
- Restart machine and boot from USB again.
- Set controller to 6GB/s mode with sas2flsh -o -e 6
- This process will ask for the firmware file. Write 2118it.bin
- Flash the controller with the new firmware with IT-mode with sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom
- Program SAS address in IT-mode where 500605b********* is the code on the green sticker on your RAID card without the “-” with sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605b*********
Done for this time! Enjoy your reflashed LSI 9240-8i which is now an LSI 9211-8i!
If you ever need to update the firmware, you can do it like this on (for example) FreeBSD:
- Download the latest firmware and installer package from LSI.
- Flash with ./sas2flash -o -f 2118it.bin